6 generous servings
Total Price: NY $17.14
Price per serving: NY $2.86
- Extra-virgin olive oil (staple)
- 3 garlic cloves, diced (NY $ 0.59 for one head)
- 3 medium onions, chopped (NY $1.99)
- 5 organic celery stalks, chopped (NY $3.49)
- a handful of baby carrots chopped (NY $ 2.00 for one bag)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (NY $ 4.99 for organic)
- 1 ¼ cups lentils, rinsed and drained (NY $ 1.89 for one bag)
- 1 14 ½ oz. can diced tomatoes in juices (NY $ 2.19 for one can, organic)
- Salt and pepper (staple)
- Balsamic vinegar (staple)
Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, celery and carrots. Saute until vegetables start to brown (softening, but still firm), about 15 minutes.
Add broth, tomatoes in juice and lentils. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer. Cook until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
Once cooked, puree about half of soup either using a stick blender or by transferring several cups to a blender and pureeing. Return puree to pot. If desired, thin soup with a few tablespoons water. Season with a healthy splash of balsamic vinegar, several grinds of pepper, and salt to taste.
Garnish with celery leaves, serve and enjoy! Like many soups, the leftovers are even better once the flavors have a chance to meld.
Approximate values per serving
|Calories: 201||Vitamin B-6: 10.8%||Manganese: 18.4%|
|Total fat: 7.1 g||Vitamin C: 46.3%||Niacin: 4.5%|
|Cholesterol: 0g||Vitamin E: 5.8%||Phosphorus: 11%|
|Potassium: 401.8 mg||Calcium: 10.6%||Riboflavin: 4.1%|
|Carbs: 28.9 g||Copper: 8.1%||Selenium: 2.7%|
|Fiber: 7.5 g||Folate: 24.1%||Thiamin: 8.4%|
|Protein: 5.5 g||Iron: 13.5%||Zinc: 5%|
|Vitamin A: 99 %||Magnesium: 6.6%|